Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Half-man


“Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” 

-Tyrion Lannister 



Tyrion Lannister is my favourite character from the 'A Song of Ice and Fire' books by George.R.R.Martin. Peter Dinklage plays Tyrion in the HBO series 'Game of Thrones' based on the ASOIAF books. The magnificence of this character as written by Martin and portryaed by Dinklage on screen(also owing to David Benioff and D.B.Weiss's marvelous screenwriting) is simply indescribable. For a dwarf anti-hero from a fictional fantasy universe,Tyrion Lannister sure does cast a large shadow over the realms of literary fiction.
--

So as you can see this piece was a long time in the coming and today I just decided to paint it. It took me about a day to finish (didnt count the hours as there were numerous breaks). I pencilled an outline on my sketchbook and then digitally coloured over it in photoshop. I went into as much detail as I could with his skin and hair. I've been doing quick sketches and speed paintings for quite some time now and wanted to see just how far I could take the detailing. Learnt quite a bit about lighting,skin texture and painting hair. I also realized that personally it takes a lot of motivation to paint to such detail and therefore the subject/character/person has to be of that much interest to me.
--

No comments: